[Patch] Fixing the Access Key system

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Wed Jul 14 02:18:47 BST 2004

Le Lundi 12 Juillet 2004 17:42, Leo Savernik a écrit :
> Am Montag 12 Juli 2004 16:52 schrieb bj at altern.org:
> [...]
>
> > Pressing "Ctrl+a" will behave as a normal konqueror shortcut.
> > Pressing "Ctrl" and then key "a" will activate the "a" accesskey (there
> > is a 5 second timeout for the second key).
>
> This is no good, because it's not intuitive (no other KDE widget/app makes
> use of this AFAIK, except if sticky keys are enabled). How does Mozilla
> handle it?

So Leo, what's your call on this eventually?

There are huge conflicts problems with other standard modifiers, and that
can't be solved without defining a new access mechanism, because you have no
control whatsoever over the defined accesskeys.

The current Ctrl+Alt is terrible... without looking at the code, it took me
ten minutes to find it out even though I knew the feature was there.
It's ordinarily associated with "powerful" shortcuts, so it's not intuitive in
the least.

Also if you've noticed, there's feedback regarding the engagement of this mode
in the status bar, which makes it very akin to the find-as-you type feature -
and pretty much self-documenting.

I'd really love to see this in 3.3, and if the string freeze shall be
understood as starting on 14th *exclusively*... :-}

G.