[Patch] Fixing the Access Key system

bj at altern.org bj at altern.org
Mon Jul 12 20:15:37 BST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 16.42, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Pressing "Ctrl+a" will behave as a normal konqueror shortcut.
> > Pressing "Ctrl" and then key "a" will activate the "a" accesskey (there
> > is a 5 second timeout for the second key).
>
> This is no good, because it's not intuitive (no other KDE widget/app makes
> use of this AFAIK, except if sticky keys are enabled). How does Mozilla
> handle it?

I know it's not a usual way of using the ctrl key, but at least it works well.
And I think it could be good to introduce a new way to handle accesskeys since
I didn't hear of any browser handling them in a satisfying way.

Firefox (and probably Mozilla) use the alt+key shortcut.
But it means that they have the problem of conflicting shortcuts too: If there
is an "f" accesskey, "alt+f" will activate the accesskey instead of opening
the file menu as usually.

In my opinion, it would be really nice if Konqueror could handle this issue in
a way that shortcuts don't conflict. If anybody has a better idea, let me
know.

regards
Jean-Baptiste