activate vs. click event

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Sat Jul 10 13:25:53 BST 2004

On Samstag, 10. Juli 2004 05:10, bj at altern.org wrote:
> I agree with you, but after some searching, I found quite a few examples
> where the javascript code is supposed to be executed after the default
> event. For example, most webmail clients have a checkbox that allows to
> check all messages at once. Checking that checkbox should set all other
> checkboxes to the same value as itself, and this _only_ works if the
> javascript is executed after the default event...
>
> I don't think that changing that behaviour would make a good impression on
> users.

I agree. We should definitely not introduce regressions in a freeze period.

> I am beginning to loose my mind with this crazy stuff!
> Should we than leave the MOUSEUP_EVENT for checkboxes/radio so that it
> reacts first,
I'd say so, even though I think about changing that after 3.3 with the patch
of my last mail.

> and change the HTMLInputElementImpl::click() event so that it
> also generates a MOUSEUP_EVENT (so that clicking on a label could issue a
> click and it would work fine)?

would be possible.

Actually, I don't know what to do for the onclick-handler problem.
At least, don't see any clean solution.

> Any idea welcome.

You would circumvent all these problems if you only focus the target element
of the label. The user would then need two keypresses (accesskey followed by
space), but it would have the advantage that the element is focused first so
that the user can see what he'll be doing

--
Tobias Anton
ESC GmbH & Co KG