'Spring folder' on nav. arrows

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Jul 9 13:07:20 BST 2004

Dnia czwartek, 8 lipca 2004 12:56, Kévin 'ervin' Ottens napisał:
> > I can go 'down' in hierarchy, but no way to return one level up, or
> > back. It is possible to move file out of window and it will return to
> > start dir but it forces making whole way from the beginning while user
> > wanted take one step up. Also it makes impossible to move/copy file up
> > from the start dir.
>
> My only concern here, is that this behavior is triggered in the iconview
> not from the toolbar... I'm not sure using some toolbar buttons for
> navigation is good from a consistency point of view. Another idea could
> be to make appear the ".." folder.

Main problem with .. folder is its placement. It should be at the
beginning of folder which forces user to "drag" anything to beginning of
current folder, including slow and erroneous scrolling of its contents
by holding dragged thing at the edge of window. E. word here isn't KDE
itself fault: just when you drag item on tab Konq switches to that tab.
It is a feature, really ;) But margin of error is very narrow here and
unexpected behaviour can be more confusing for users.

Also you can drop things on address widget, thus it is not something new
for users, dropping things outside main window. I think it could be
extended even more: drop something to "Print" button for printing, drop
on Security button to check files cryptography ability (or inability),
drop something on find button to look into that file/folder.

It would have two good side effects:
- justify many buttons on Konq toolbars
- improve interaction with Konq in fullscreen mode

m.
--
	In Googlis non est, ergo non est.