WebCore 146

Eric Laffoon sequitur at easystreet.com
Wed Jul 7 18:58:38 BST 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 11:15 am, Nicolas Deschildre wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 July 2004 02:03, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > Quanta guys, could you take a look at the html editting implementation
> > in the new webcore at
> > http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/tarballs/other/WebCore-146.1.tar.gz
> > and let me know what you think?
>
> Hi,
>
> I will only comment the editing part, not the caret navigation as it is Leo
> who did it on khtml, and i am not really familiar with it right now.
>
> Well, even if i didn't try to test it yet, it looks like html editing is
> much more complete here than currently in VPL (selection deletion support,
> copy/paste support, ...) And as these features are implemented inside
> khtml, i guess the speed is fairly good whereas the current speed in VPL is
> quite bad.
>
> So i am really happy that such editing commands are already implemented,
> and i will be happy to help integrating them.
>
> The only thing i will need, if not already implemented, is some signals
> telling me, when something is edited, which DOM::Nodes are
> inserted/modified/deleted so that i can do the appropriate updates in
> Quanta, but i think an EventListener can do it. Am i wrong?
>
> Concerning copy/paste, i guess Paulo will be happy he won't have to do it
> ;-)
>
> Nicolas

This is the kind of report that can give me anxiety. Does this mean we will be
able to merge these features for 3.3? Right now Quanta could be said to be on
a par with Dreamweaver in many areas and better in some. With advances we're
working on 3.3 could prove to be decisively better and a big win for KDE...
except our visual editing has been less than what it should be. (With all due
respect to the great work done so far.) To be really viable as a killer app
we need this piece of the puzzle. Given our current architectural decisions
(which I don't argue with) we are paradoxically limited in improving this
area and offering an external release to saying "requires KDE CVS for full
functionality".

For this reason I sincerely hope we can merge any significant editing
improvements in KHTML prior to the 3.3 release.

Eric