WARNING: KDE detected X Error

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 08:55:43 GMT 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 20:14, Andy Brice wrote:
> > > I get this error message output to the console when I start up my app
> which
> > > embeds a KHtmlPart browser:
> > >
> > > WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> \x08
> > >   Major opcode:  *
> >
> > Add a "<< kdBacktrace()" to this kdWarning in kapplication.cpp, to see
> what's causing it.
> > You might have to run your app with the -sync command-line option for a
> better result.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a kapplication.cpp installed with SuSe 9.

Right, it's part of the source for kdelibs.

> Although I am an experienced C++/Qt programmer I knowledge of KDE is
> limited. Please can someone point me at an appropriate web page telling me
> what I have to do to get a debug version of KApplication with source.

Either recompile the kdelibs srpm after modifying it, or install kdelibs from
sources (http://developer.kde.org/source - better get the same version as the
one you have on suse, unless you plan to install two versions of KDE in parallel).

Another way is to install your own X error handler:

static int my_x_errhandler( Display *dpy, XErrorEvent *err )
{
    char errstr[256];
    XGetErrorText( dpy, err->error_code, errstr, 256 );
    if ( err->error_code != BadWindow )
        kdWarning() << "Detected X Error: " << errstr << " " << err->error_code
                << "\n  Major opcode:  " << err->request_code << kdBacktrace() << endl;
    return 0;
}

 XSetErrorHandler( my_x_errhandler );