File Manager -> Menu -> View -> Set Encoding

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sun Dec 19 15:31:35 GMT 2004

Otto Pattara wrote:
>In case a friend bring you his USB disk to let you copy some files,
>he's Japanese so let's say the filenames are in euc-jp. In this case
>it means you can't see these filenames unless you change the locale
>to the euc-jp. Then you copy, the files are now on your hard disks
>with the euc-jp encoded names. Now you back to your old locale, and
>you don't see this file name properly again.

We can't tell apart a USB disk from a local disk.

If you're exchanging filenames between computers, use Unicode in those
disks. That's what Unicode was invented for.

This will only happen if you're using a Unix filesystem on that USB disk.
If it is FAT, since it's Unicode, the problem doesn't appear.

>Let's say you manage somehow to change the filenames to UTF-8, your
>default encoding. Now if you bring your disk to your friend's house,
>plug it in. He prefers to use euc-jp, then there is another round of
>problem copying files on this his disk.

Everyone should just use UTF-8.

And, as I said, the hassle is probably too great to do what you want. Just
copy the bizarre-looking file and rename it. Changing the encoding for
local files is a *global* action.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.