File Manager -> Menu -> View -> Set Encoding

Otto Pattara ott-list at thaigate.nii.ac.jp
Sun Dec 19 15:25:45 GMT 2004

On Sunday 19 December 2004 23:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Otto Pattara wrote:
> >So it all depends on the locale. It would be nice to let it depend
> > on something else (setting in menu) so we don't need to change
> > the LANG and re-kde-init everytime we want to browse files with
> >another-encoding filenames.
>
> No. It is system-dependent, since all applications in your system
> must agree on what the encoding is. When I mean all, I mean non-KDE
> as well.
>
> So, you can change the encoding for remote filenames, but not for
> local ones.

In case a friend bring you his USB disk to let you copy some files,
he's Japanese so let's say the filenames are in euc-jp. In this case
it means you can't see these filenames unless you change the locale
to the euc-jp. Then you copy, the files are now on your hard disks
with the euc-jp encoded names. Now you back to your old locale, and
you don't see this file name properly again.

Let's say you manage somehow to change the filenames to UTF-8, your
default encoding. Now if you bring your disk to your friend's house,
plug it in. He prefers to use euc-jp, then there is another round of
problem copying files on this his disk.

Otto