iconview behaviour changing, possible or not?

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Sun Dec 12 12:33:16 GMT 2004

Le Samedi 11 Décembre 2004 23:43, David Faure a écrit :
> I think that Kevin Ottens was also thinking about a KonqKfmIconView
> reimplementation for another purpose (media:/) so this might be a good way
> to go indeed.

In fact it was related to remote:/, I need to force the item triggering the
wizard to be always the first one.

And on second thought, the same work would need to be done for the list view
too... I guess Unai Garro proposal have the same issue... we tend to forget
list view users. But the most common cases of "view tweaking" I see are when
you want:
1) to force the order of some listed elements (having a special item listed
first or last, etc.)
2) to change some icons on the fly (or add them an overlay)
3) force a special layout

Both 1) and 2) are not specific to icon view or list view imho. So maybe we
could find a way to avoid being specific to one of those views. I don't know
how much code is shared between konqi iconview and listview though, it'll
would need some investigation.

For 3) you need the full control of the icon view or the list view so it
definitely requires the splitting David described... and it seems to be
relevent only for icon views, I fail to see a use case for this with a list
view.

> Of course we should also ensure that this class is ready to
> become public API - d pointer, virtual hook, making member vars private
> instead of protected, etc.

And that would mean moving it to libkonq I guess.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."