Recent selection regressions/showstoppers

bj at altern.org bj at altern.org
Tue Aug 10 01:12:11 BST 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 13.09, Tobias Anton wrote:
> > *If you select text from a web page with the mouse and there is a
> > lineedit widget in the middle, the text of the lineedit also gets
> > highlighted (it shouldn't be).
>
> I don't think so. It is correct to let widgets react on mouse move events
> by highlighting parts of their contents. It's also correct for KHTML to
> react on mouse move events by highlighting parts of a web page. So what's
> wrong about the combination of these behaviours?

Well, I am not sure what is best to select or not the text in lineedit with
the rest of the text, but the problem with your patch is that the lineedit
text is highlighted but not selected (it is not pasted into clipboard if you
do Edit->Copy). So it should either not be highlighted or either be
highlighted and also copied to clipboard. Sorry if my previous message was
not really clear.

> This creates the impression here that the whole idea behind my patch is not
> esteemed here. I feel left alone with my idea of cleaning up KHTML's event
> handling.

As Stephan said in his last post, the patch was only reverted for the 3.3.0
release because the timing was too short...
But the cleaning of events you are working on is I think necessary and it
would be too bad if you stopped doing this...

regards
Jean-Baptiste