Recent selection regressions/showstoppers

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Mon Aug 9 14:09:31 BST 2004

On Samstag, 7. August 2004 22:03, bj at altern.org wrote:

> *If you select text inside a linedit and your mouse leaves the lineedit
> widget (by going up or down) while selecting text, the selection stops at
> the point where your mouse left the lineedit widget.

This is easy to fix. Simply call lineedit->deselect() in the mouseout-event
handler.

> *If you select text from a web page with the mouse and there is a lineedit
> widget in the middle, the text of the lineedit also gets highlighted (it
> shouldn't be).

I don't think so. It is correct to let widgets react on mouse move events by
highlighting parts of their contents. It's also correct for KHTML to react on
mouse move events by highlighting parts of a web page. So what's wrong about
the combination of these behaviours?

> So it would probably be better to revert and let Tobias correctly fix all
> issues.

I'm not sure whether I'm the one to fix this. The fact that my patch was
reverted in HEAD (which is not about to be released) without waiting for my
reply is cutting down my motivation to work on KDE.

From my point of view, KHTML's event handling is a great mess. Fixing this
mess for good requires large code changes with many intermingled
dependencies. E.g. do I have another 20k patch floating around here that
addresses cancellation and bubbling of click and activate events. I developed
it on top of this patch and with my old patch being reverted, I have to throw
it all away and start from scratch.

I assume that the mentioned bug reports would have been fixed with the patch
proposed by jean-baptiste, but my patch was reverted without checking that.

This creates the impression here that the whole idea behind my patch is not
esteemed here. I feel left alone with my idea of cleaning up KHTML's event
handling.

-- Tobias