Speed and Look.. what comes next.

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Apr 3 18:17:18 BST 2004

On Saturday 03 April 2004 13:31, Enrico Ros wrote:
> On Saturday 03 April 2004 18:10, Enrico Ros wrote:
> > I want to apply the patches you find in that page, so I'm asking if I
> > can. Here is the list of patches:
>
> While waiting to hear your comments about the pending commits, I'd like to
> know your opinions about what are the graphics improvements that must be
> done on the filebrowsing views now.
> By applying the pending patches the IconView filebrowser takes no more
> repaints than what it needs. In fact i was bored to hear someone saying
> gnome or w.. filebrowsers look better only because of flickering!
> --complains;
>
> So, if anyone sees agfx bug, please tell me! Now I'm going to take a look
> to KFileView(s) because they have similar problems.

  I think I speak for everyone when I say it's great to see someone else
working on these things.  Performance enhancement work is a great thing and
we get too little of it.  One thing I have heard comments about is the KDE
file dialog.  I was told that it takes approximately 10 times as long as Qt's
file dialog to list a large directory (thousands of files).

   On a somewhat related note, the new tabbar has major performance problems.
It's especially noticeable in Konsole when there are about 6 or more tabs
open and in the ~4th tab you hold in backspace to trigger lots of beeps.  The
flicker is very intense.  This seems to apply in different ways to Konqueror
in tabbed browsing mode too.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/