Speed and Look of IconView browsing.

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Sat Apr 3 19:10:15 BST 2004

I've just subscribed to this list and I'm posting here a message that has
already been presented on kde-devel and usability MLs.

As you can find in this page:
  http://robotics.dei.unipd.it/~koral/KDE/kflicker.html
I've been working on fixing some nearly "invisible" graphics bugs that slowed
down the directory browsing speed. Since it's hard to perceive that , the
user might get upset when browsing without knowing why :-P.

I want to apply the patches you find in that page, so I'm asking if I can.
Here is the list of patches:
01 NOT TO BE APPLIED IN SHORT. Eye-candy patch. The user will see the viewport
painted at once, not the growing from the top-left corner; also suppress
flicker due to composting.
02 ALREADY IN QT-COPY. I'll mantain it there. It was a bug that made windows
refreshing their contents too much when switching between them. Also sent to
qt-bugs.
03 *updated* TO BE APPLIED. This turns an O(N) into 0. To give an order of
magnitude, without the patch, inserting 200 items in a IconView will take the
same time of all the other operations (repaints included) summed up!
04 TO BE APPLIED. BugFix: in some cases an 'unsorted' frame was displayed
before the correct one (for some milliseconds, but it hurts :-).
05 *updated* TO BE APPLIED. Don't clear (2 times) the background when changing
from an URL to another, just display the next contents over the previous
ones.

I'll wait to discuss here the patches, and if nobody complains about them, or
anybody give me an ok I'll apply them.

Enrico Ros