Konqueror Context Specific Popup Menu

Sashmit Bhaduri smt at inbox.lv
Wed Sep 17 15:36:03 BST 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 5:45 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 09:55, Sashmit Bhaduri wrote:
> > Hi, I've been trying to make Konqi's popup menu more fitting to the
> > current context of where and what the context menu is acting upon. When a
> > user shows a popup menu on a link in konqi, they are expecting menu items
> > that act upon that link. However, this is not the case with Konqi right
> > now as there is superfluous items that do not pertain to the clicked
> > object.
> >
> > It can be confusing to the user as well, and as such, is an usability
> > problem. Things like "Open in New Page" act upon the link, but things
> > like "Security" and "Back/Forward" act upon the current page.
> >
> > This patch fixes this, and implements most of #53772 (as the original
> > intent of it was with the original author, at least)
> >
> > Let me know what you think, and what can be improved, and if anything is
> > messed up :)
>
> The KHTML patch looks good to me.

Great..

> Hmm, one side effect of the patch is that for images that are also links,
> the image items will be before the link items, whereas it was the opposite
before.
> Not sure if that's a big problem, but it seems a bit unnecessary to confuse
users
> by changing the order of things. Or was there some thought given about the
> new order being more 'logical'?

The old one was probably more logical, as actions with a link are used more
widely on the web than actions with images. See attached khtml patch to
revert that.

> Can you explain the KonqPopupMenu one?

No :) I was foot's'ing around for a while trying to find a way to detect this,
and this was the closest way I could find. Do you have any better
suggestions?

> [That patch is Binary Incompatible, too, you'd need a new KonqPopupMenu
> constructor]

That constructor which was changed was added after 3.1, that's fine right?