:first-letter text-transformation fix

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 18:58:09 BST 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 20:40, Leo Savernik wrote:
> It changes RenderText::setStyle to recognize the render object being part
> of
>
> :first-letter, and only setting the relevant part for text transformation.

I don't think such functionality belongs into setStyle()

> Before I commit I'd like to ask: Is it guaranteed that the RenderText
> containing the real text always is a direct sibling of the anonymous
> :first-letter flow object? I can't deduce it from the code, but assume this
> all over the place.

Yes, that should be the case.

> Btw.: :first-letter has other problems in connection with :before, too. In
> this case, it should apply to the content of :before, not to the content of
> the first DOM text node. This can even go as far as having the :before
> represent some punctuation like ", and the DOM text node the real
> first-letter. In this case we need *two* anonymous RenderTexts. And it's
> not too far-fetched given the fact that <q> uses :before/:after to generate
> the quotation marks.

Yes, another reason why I don't think that this patch is doing anything good
in the current state of things.

I'd like to delay that fix for :first-letter pathological cases till we have
the proper string handling in dom/render tree in place.

--
Dirk