Hope this is the right list.

Todd Jordan jordan at kgcministries.org
Sat Nov 8 04:59:40 GMT 2003

I am not subscribed to this list and it seems to me like this should go to a
users list, but I don't see one on the site. My problem is, that I have a web
app that uses frames with a couple of the frames set with scrolling=yes.
Konqueror interprets this as needing both a horizontal and a vertical scroll
bar. While it's desirable to have the vertical bar, the horizontal actually
gets in the way and, since there's no data that's too wide, is not even
functional.

I've looked at the .rc, through all of the GUI configs I know of and spent
sometime with the online docs and I see no mention of scroll bars at all.
I've also tried setting scrolling=auto in my HTML, but it makes no
difference.

My configuration is:
Mandrake 9.1 (patches up to date on all installed apps, including KDE)
KDE/Konqueror 3.1.0

My question is:
1) Should I ask this somewhere else as I don't like fielding support emails in
the wrong place either, even if I DO know the answer (sorry if this is the
wrong place)?

2) Is this a part of the spec of which I am not aware? I've always read the
w3c specs from the standpoint of a web developer, not an agent developer.

2) Is there a way to specify the behavior of the scroll bars in this respect?

As I type in KMail and get beyond the size of my screen, a scroll bar has just
appeared on the right of my window without one on the bottom. This would be
my ideal for Konqueror. I'm sure this section of code is not shared, but it
seemed like a good example.

I have never seen a browser handle scrollbars in this manner and wonder,
unless it's in the spec, why Konqueror would. There's about a 10% left and
right margin in the frames so the data doesn't come anywhere near the edges,
and yet the scrollbar is there at the bottom of both frames that allow
scrolling.

Thoughts are appreciated. Granted, I am developing this for an audience of
users who have mostly NOT heard of Konqueror or Linux, or any form of Unix
for that matter. But, there ARE some Mac users and IE for Mac is utterly
worthless with my app. I'm therefore telling my Mac users to use Safari. I
don't yet know if this problem is in the shared code or not, but I'd rather
know the fix if a Safari user complains about it.

Thanks.