Nsplugins and javascript: urls

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 1 03:02:05 GMT 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, George Staikos wrote:

> On Friday 28 February 2003 19:48, Peter Kelly wrote:
> > >   I'm not talking about a kioslave for javascript access.   I'm more
> > > considering doing a liveconnect style of system (after discussions with
> > > Koos), much like we have in KJava.  The NS plugin spec already provides
> > > for this.  We will of course have plenty of security checks in the end.
> >
> > This is the best approach I think. A kioslave is just not appropriate for
> > javascript, as it's dependent on a specific document in which the
> > javascript gets executed.
>
>    I was thinking about this some more today, and I wonder if it would make
> sense to put a script extension into kparts.  Effectively we have one kpart
> which has this already (kjava), another which needs it asap (nsplugins), and
> future ones which have a need for it (kswfdec).  I would hate to see this
> code be replicated so many times if it's avoidable.

How much reimplement is extra needed with liveconnect. A js eval is an
emit of 'partEvent' and the 'put' function gets the return value. (eg
'this.__nsplugin=eval("script")' )
The other way, js calling different objects in a part, need some storage.
But putting it in kparts wouldn't benefit kjava I'm afraid.

Koos