Konqueror delete unification

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 16 13:10:27 BST 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 04:44, Michael S. Mikowski wrote:
> > # ls -a /home/me/Desktop/Trash
> >
> > file1.sxw -> /opt/extra_space/me/.trash/file1.sxw
> > file2.sxw -> /opt/extra_space/me/.trash/file2.sxw
> > img1.png -> /var/www/html/images/reference/.trash/img1.png
> > notes.txt -> /usr/share/me/.trash/notes.txt
>
> The ownership of .trash would really be a problem though.
> It would have to always match the ownership and permissions of its parent
> dir, but there's no way to ensure this is always true.

If the .trash should have the same group/other settings as parent dir then
group setting can only fail if you own the parent dir, but don't belong
to the group, you are not root and g+s is not set). First is rare, but
indeed can happen.

> Plus this doesn't solve the problems due to conflicting filenames
> (deleting a file with the same name in two directories).

Imo, symlinking to ~/Trash is a bad idea (or there should be path info in
the symlink name). There might be a way to easily browse trash, but it's
a weak spot. 'find mounting-point -name .trash -type d' does makes it
possible though. To me, it's about what do you do the most, moving stuff
to trash or trying to get it out of there. And what you do the most
should be the fastest.
Moving stuff to ~/Trash has also the size weak spot, some files just don't
fit and du -s on dirs isn't convenient either.
There we have two ways with its deficits..

> I think the idea described in http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/Trash_system_messages
> is more complete (it includes the ability to see the date of deletion, and
> to restore the mtime of the file when restoring it, etc.), and it fixes those problems.

So does moving to .trash, no?

Koos