Konqueror delete unification

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 21:46:07 BST 2003

The trouble with Mac's and PC's is they support only a few FS types.  The
benefit is the developers can build to more "settled" pool of capabilities.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old Mac 9 OS used the file resource metadata to
mark files as "trashed" in-place.  The new extended attributes support in
Linux 2.4.21 and later could be used in such a way (maybe?), but it would
leave a whole lot of people in the lurch.

Cheers,

Mike

p.s.
Another option is to use a database indexed file system, where extended
metadata is stored in a relational database and manipulated through SQL.  A
few have argued this is the future of unifying all sorts of data on the
desktop (now including Microsoft in Longhorn).  This is beyond the scope of
this discussion, but it would make marking things for deletion much easier,
and would be great for unifying all sorts of data on the desktop.