konq delete unification

David Hugh-Jones hughjonesd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 16:55:42 BST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 16:31, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17:34, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > OK, so that will stop getting problems with e.g. shred.
> >
> > But we have new slots (forceDel, forceTrash) that the browser extension
> > needs to know about, doesn't the BrowserExtension need to know about
> > them?
>
> Why do you have those slots? What do they do, compared to del and trash?
> It seems to me that you're putting the logic in the wrong place, but then again
> I haven't thought about this much.

Well, that is possible, see earlier discussion. But I have 3 slots:
forcedel (yes this should just be called del but it's the way I hacked
it)
forcetrash (ditto)
del (does the default delete action, which may or may not involve
storing a copy in the trash)

I altered all the views to use the new slots, so unless there is a
"third party view" it's not a problem. Depends how much binary
compatibility you want to guarantee.

I don't see how to have a "standard delete action" without another slot.
We can't just use the two old ones and select between them, because
konq_operations wants to know if we are using the default action. (If
you're forcing a trash or delete you can be expected to know what you
are doing and not be told, e.g. "are you sure you want to trash this
remote file"?)