Konqueror delete unification

b.walter at free.fr b.walter at free.fr
Mon Jul 14 19:29:55 BST 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 19:16, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > (1) I know there are many users who like the ability to store files in
> > the trash, or decide not to. With this patch, you can still do that. It
> > just is a keyboard shortcut not a RMB action.
>
> which is even more hidden than a RMB action...

That's only a question of improving usability for advanced users or normal
users. Most users do not make a difference between "Move to Trash" and
"Delete". Renaming "Delete" to "Destroy File" would help a little bit,
anyway, keeping the 2 entries by default is dangerous and will remove many
advantages of using a trash.

The actual way of thinking is  (in this order):
- I want to remove this file.
- Did I make a mistake ?

With the 2 entries, it would be :
- I want to remove this file.
- Am I going to make a mistake ?
- Destroy the file or Move it to trash

For the rare cases where you really want to avoid Trash (very large file),
using a key-shortcut is not a problem. Keeping the dangerous options as easy
to access as other actions (even with a confirmation dialog) would be a big
mistake.
And for advanced users, it would be easy, and would not take too much place to
add in the configuration dialog :

Context menu entries :
[X] Move to Trash [Del]
[ ] Delete File (dangerous) - [Shift+Del]

and if you really want to keep it :
[ ] Shred (VERY dangerous) - [Shift+Ctrl+Del].

But please do not leave these 2 actions together by default !

> the real solution lies elsewhere. and it's also why i've stayed out of this
> discussion =)  KDE really, really needs a trash:// protocol. i have
> beginnings of such a thing here, but as others have done, i've delinquently
> let it languish.

I don't think it was such a good idea to stay out of discussion. They are
people who really want to help and who have taken some time to code, and you
come at the end of the discussion, saying that you have a totally different
solution...

Benoit.