Persistence of KParts plugins

Antonio Larrosa Jiménez larrosa at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 14:42:30 BST 2003

Hello,

It's been a long time since I've first thought of modifying the web
archiver plugin of Konqueror. The main problem I had with it was that it
always blocks Konqueror until it finished downloading all the images on
the page, which can take a long time. Also, even if you try to do other
things with other applications while it's archiving a page, the popup of
multiple windows (from kio) which steal the focus is really annoying.

As a result, yesterday afternoon I made some changes to it. In my version,
the web archiver shows a dialog with a listview in which you can see the
state of all the images that are being downloaded, in a few days, you'll
be able to retry the download of a single image if it fails, which
currently just fails silently (so now, you have to open the war file after
archiving, just to be sure everything was loaded ok, which happens more
often than usual, as sometimes the download window steals the focus just
when you're pressing the space key, and that cancels a single download).

I've also ported it to use KIO::Job instead of the NetAccess class, and the
dialog is non-modal so that you can still use Konqueror to navigate while
the page is being archived.

But now I have a problem, and it's that it seems that when konqueror
deletes the khtmlpart, it deletes the plugins, so if you close the web
page that is being archived, the archiver exits too.

Can somebody tell me if there's any way to do this correctly so that the
archiver stays open even if the user closes the whole konqueror window?
(the dialog has a cancel button so that should be the way to exit from the
archiver).
Or should I just exec another binary and do all the job of the plugin from
the external binary? (in that case, the archiver would need to download
the same page again, since currently, it reuses the dom tree from
konqueror).

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE developer - larrosa at kde.org
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/
Language is the map. Ideas are the territory. The map is not the territory.