BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Jan 26 21:37:09 GMT 2003

On Sunday 26 January 2003 20:19, Uno Engborg wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 17.27, Lenny wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > putting all available features into a context menu might be the most
> > honest approach but it slows down the individual since he always needs to
> > search for entries among many others.
> >
> > Let's compare the BeOS context menus:
> >
> > 1) Trash context menu:
> > http://www.kudling.de/kde_beos_trash.png
> >
> > IMVHO BeOS does it right. Most people just want to
> > a) look into the Trash Bin and
> > b) empty it
>
> Agree there is far too much in the Trash context menu. I seriously doubt
> that anybody uses the  " Add to  bookmarks", "Open with..", "Open terminal
> here", "Edit file type"  or  "Cervisia"  items in the Trash context menu.
>
> The context menu should contain:
> 	Open
> 	Empty Trash
> 	Properties
>
> In the properties dialog it should be possible to edit the behavior of the
> trash. Here we could have settings like "Delete files older than xxx days",
> "Delete files when trash is xx% of available diskspace"
> I know too little of KDE to have any idea how this could be implemented,
> but Isn't there something called KIOSlaves?
>

> If we added that kind of behaviors to the trash then we don't need
> both the "Delete" and "Move to trash" context menu items of the context
> menu of all other files and folders. "Move to trash"  would be sufficient

Yes, good ideas. The problem currently is that the trash is just a directory.
And as a result you get the same menu as on any other directory. That clearly
needs to change.

There have been a number of good ideas during the last years about better
trash functionality (The current trash can has several major problems) but
unfortunately none of those ever got implemented.

In the mean time I have cleaned up the context menu for the Trash. In KDesktop
it looks good now. Unfortunately Konqueror insists on adding a "Preview In"
and "Find File".

"Preview In" seems really inappropriate in this case.

I don't understand what "Find File" does in the context menu. Is it supposed
to search in the selected directory? It doesn't do that, it searches in the
directory in which the selected item resides.

Cheers,
Waldo