KDirLister keeps mounted devices in use

Chris Kuhi kdelists at kuhi.net
Thu Jan 16 11:16:39 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 11:20, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  There's no need for heuristic in the solution. Is the directory on a
> temporarily mounted device? Yes -> don't put it in the cache. Or more
> advanced: A directory may remain in the cache only if it's either not on a
> temporarily mounted device or if it's on the same device as the current
> directory.
>
>  The only problem  may be how to exactly know what a temporarily mounted
> device is.

Ummmm... that would be the heuristic.  Looking at the continuing discussion
below, I'm extremely skeptical that the solution found will have a rate of 0%
false positives, especially with the 'exotic' but ever more common devices
such as pendrives, etc.

But... I give up.  I'm not capable of contributing code to this, so I'll shut
up except to say I predict there will be people reporting bugs on exactly
this behaviour no matter what system you guys decide to use to figure out
what might be unmounted until there's an explicit flag in the mtab which
means 'might be unmounted'.

regards,
--
Chris Kuhi