KDirLister keeps mounted devices in use

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jan 15 10:20:11 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 15 of January 2003 00:05, Chris Kuhi wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 20:12, Michael Brade wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 January 2003 13:33, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > I don't like this solution. I sometimes mix mouting
> > > using the GUI and manually where no KDE hook would help, and preloaded
> > > Konqy would block the unmount in such case.
> >
> > Yes, I don't like it for the same reason, I even mount my floppy and
> > cdrom exclusively in konsole. And it would be a hack more in KDE.
>
> I do too, but this wouldn't be for us. Did you read my response to Lubos?
> I'm talking about a backup to the heuristic you guys are talking about.
> The heuristic sounds good, but like all heuristics it *will* fail in some
> cases (see your own followup).  I think the problem of not being able to
> unmount with the icon is disastrous for a newbie, and in the worst case
> scenario that newbie should be able to unmount even then.

 There's no need for heuristic in the solution. Is the directory on a
temporarily mounted device? Yes -> don't put it in the cache. Or more
advanced: A directory may remain in the cache only if it's either not on a
temporarily mounted device or if it's on the same device as the current
directory.

 The only problem  may be how to exactly know what a temporarily mounted
device is.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer