KDirLister keeps mounted devices in use

Chris Kuhi kdelists at kuhi.net
Tue Jan 14 23:05:16 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 20:12, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 13:33, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > I don't like this solution. I sometimes mix mouting
> > using the GUI and manually where no KDE hook would help, and preloaded
> > Konqy would block the unmount in such case.
>
> Yes, I don't like it for the same reason, I even mount my floppy and cdrom
> exclusively in konsole. And it would be a hack more in KDE.

I do too, but this wouldn't be for us. Did you read my response to Lubos?  I'm
talking about a backup to the heuristic you guys are talking about.  The
heuristic sounds good, but like all heuristics it *will* fail in some cases
(see your own followup).  I think the problem of not being able to unmount
with the icon is disastrous for a newbie, and in the worst case scenario that
newbie should be able to unmount even then.

And if you're concerned about the hackishness, then put it this way: Wouldn't
it be useful anyway to have an external hook to flush/empty the cache for
given directories? I realize I'm probably over my head regarding the
technical details, but afterall despite all the code in the Linux kernel for
managing the disk buffers, there is still a 'sync' command.  Isn't that
comparable?

regards,
--
Chris Kuhi