Win32 Port of Safari

tech at bishop.dhs.org tech at bishop.dhs.org
Fri Jan 10 02:27:51 GMT 2003

> I was being silly. The Objective-C++ will need to be replaced. From what I
> can
> tell Kwq sits right atop NextStep. Which is nice for Apple, but bad for
> Win32.
> I am going to have to find a replacement for NextStep. There has been some
> discussion here about that, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Is it just me, or are you going about this a bit, um, backwards?  I
mean, what Apple did, IIUC, was wrap all the QT specific stuff in khtml
in an ObjectiveC/Cocoa shell, so that anything that used to use a
QString would now be, in effect, an NString (I neither know nor care if
there is actually an NString).  They did this because they wanted a
"Cocoa native web component".  But, from what I can tell, you are going
to take that component, remove all of the Cocoa/ObjectiveC[++] stuff,
and then rewrap it in your own shell (whether it's implemented via fltk,
or GNUStep, or whatever).  Wouldn't it make more sense to just use the
Win32/QT to use khtml "natively"?  I mean, what's the "safari" code base
give you that a simple checkout of kdelibs/konqueror/khtml doesn't?
Besides a bunch of stuff that won't work anyways?

- Signed, "One puzzeled onlooker"

D.A.Bishop

P.S.  Please don't take this as flaming or whatever.  I truly believe
that I'm probably missing something, I just can't figure out what.
Clarification would be helpful :-)