Win32 Port of Safari

Andreas Dieling adieling at tzi.de
Fri Jan 10 00:26:28 GMT 2003

> > How about fltk?
> > http://www.fltk.org/
>
> Fast Light Toolkit. Sounds about right. Thank you.

if i remember right, fltk is not using native win32 controls, but
drawing its own controls in a gdc. I don't like it, because the
application should behave like a real win32 app.

> A Mr Adrian Philip Look wrote to recommend http://www.wxwindows.org. He
> offered to answer questions, and pointed me towards the wxwindows
> newsgroup.

wxwindows is cool, but classes are similar to mfc. So if you don't need
platform independency, mfc would be faster.

> I've considered VCF. It is an ambitious project. I don't think it is
> quite
> right for this port.
>
> Using a toolkit, for now, may make development faster.  In the end, if
> the
> controls are few and simple, I might move towards programming directly
> to the
> GDI for the sake of performance. Since KHTML already runS on Mac and
> Unix, and
> extra portability layer will be unnecessary.

Its faster to use mfc then to hack win32-api. Or are there .NET
bindings for c++ and visual studio6 ? Since .NET will replace win32 in
the future, and i think it bids more intuitive object orientation than
mfc.

Andreas