Porting KHTML to other platforms

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Tue Aug 19 16:27:09 BST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 17:03, Henrik Mikael Kristensen wrote:
> <citat hvem="Dirk Mueller">
>
> > On Sam, 16 Aug 2003, Henrik Mikael Kristensen wrote:
> >> I posted this email to kfm-devel and to Lars Knoll, but got no response.
> >> gather those are the wrong places to post things like this, because it
> >> doesn't really belong under normal KDE development. :-)
> >
> > kfm-devel is the right place.
>
> Thank you very much. I can tell you what we want to do:
>
> We want to port the KHTML engine as well as KJavascript. Those are then
> supposed to be contained in dynamic libraries, which will be downloadable
> from our site.
>
> The libraries will have an API which we will design and will be completely
> open and documented.
>
> This makes it possible for everyone else to develop applications around
> KHTML.
>
> The port will be general, which means it must be compilable for AmigaOS
> 3.x, 4.x, MorphOS and AROS. We want it to be native, so we have to
> separate it from QT, as we don't have that on the Amiga. This might be
> where we'll need some help on the nuts-and-bolts of KHTML.
>
> When KHTML is done, we'll build a new webbrowser around it.
>
> That's basically what we want to do. :-)

KJS should be easy to port. I think it only uses the QString class.
KHTML will be harder, however, since it relies more on Qt.
You can port the Qt libraries to Intuition, or maybe just a subset of it.
In this case, have a look at tinyQt (http://www.uwyn.com/projects/tinyq/),
and write a translation layer for the needed Qt classes as Apple did with
Safari.
I wish you the best luck with your project,
Luciano