Security and usability

Roland Seuhs roland.seuhs at hasos.com
Mon Aug 18 20:18:29 BST 2003

Am Montag, 18. August 2003 19:09 schrieb Datschge:

> * Embedding of "foreign" (ie. not located on the domain the user intended
> to visit) html data using frames, iframes and layers, eg. for
> advertisements. * Embedding of "foreign" data like pictures, java, flash,
> eg. for
> advertisements, so called web bugs etc.
> * Embedding of "foreign" JavaScript, eg. for displaying advertisements as
> embedded html, pictures or embedded flash/shockwave coupled with cookie
> data saving.

> one (aka "foreign" data): Deny

Great, now almost all my sites are broken because I usually have all static information (pictures, css, js) served from another domain because I use mod_rewrite.
Google's archive is broken (frame loaded from a different domain because Google otherwise couldn't handle the load), and so is the Google picture-search.
I just checked, I also could no longer use my webbank, because it also uses frames from different domains.
No, I have to rephrase: I could no longer use my webbank with Konqueror. I and nobody else will change banks just because of moronic privacy policies.
Almost all pages with screenshots are broken because they often have the screenshots on other servers.
And bye, bye slashdot, it also gets its images from another domain.
Thousands of other sites will be broken as well.

It's really scary.

I write really long arguments to reduce the annoyances a little bit, and the only proposals are even more popups, more "deny"-policies and more annoyances that would - when implemented - turn Konqueror into completely useless software when using the defaults.

If some webmaster wants to give a 3rd party user information, he will do it. With or without cookies/images/whatever. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent that.

All your supposed "solutions" are only supplying a false sense of security/privacy - and annoyance. Absolutely NOTHING else.
So please, leave all those paranoia-settings in there for those who want it, but don't bother everybody with it and turn them OFF by default.

Roland

--
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked