Security and usability

Datschge datschge at gmx.de
Mon Aug 18 18:09:45 BST 2003

CC'ing kfm-devel

Interesting discussion so far, but I think we should think more about what
kind of issues endangering privacy there actually are, the technology itself
per se is usually not at fault. When clarifying that we can then conclude
which sane defaults to use, respecting both privacy and usability.

My impression is that the saving or logging of data is fine for most users as
long as it's limited to sites they themselves decide to visit. The (feeling
of) loss of privacy is mostly only involved as soon as an unknown
non-obvious/hidden middle man/third party is able to save or log data which
is not really related to the site a user intended to visit.

The mix of site data the user intended to visit and embedded data which is
delivered by third parties mostly unknown to the user is very common
nowadays. Possible ways are:

* Embedding of "foreign" (ie. not located on the domain the user intended to
visit) html data using frames, iframes and layers, eg. for advertisements.
* Embedding of "foreign" data like pictures, java, flash, eg. for
advertisements, so called web bugs etc.
* Embedding of "foreign" JavaScript, eg. for displaying advertisements as
embedded html, pictures or embedded flash/shockwave coupled with cookie data
saving.

They all have in common that they are mostly used for sharing visitor related
data, which is normally only available to the visited site, with third
parties the visiting user is not aware of.

To preserve the feeling of privacy for the user would imo consequently mean
that only those site data the user explicitely wish to visit are loaded and
saved. This would lead to following default settings (note that those
suggested features are afaik not implemented in Konqueror currently):

(aka "foreign" data): Deny
* JavaScript Web Popups Policy: Smart (ie. only popups the user asked for or
located on the same domain as the visited one should be opened)
* Cookies: Only accept cookies from originating server, Accept all cookies by
default (since only explicitely visited sites will be able to create and
access them at all when  requested data of any kind from domains other than
the visited one are rejected by default)

I would assume this defaults would cover most privacy issues with the open
internet while still allowing self-containing web sites (ie. sites which
store all the necessary data within their own domain including subdomains,
imo still by far the majority of sites on the net) to work perfectly and
stopping bothering the users with configurations options in most if not all
cases.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Datschge =)