problems with java applets and non latin1 encoding

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Sun Sep 29 18:11:34 BST 2002

On Sunday 29 September 2002 18:19, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use a java based chat which is using hebrew/arabic.
>
> Here's the URL:
> http://chat.tapuz.co.il/newchat/main.asp?regUser=no&shower=1&room=30%20test
>&nick=%E0%E5%F4%E9%F812
>
> If you try to load this page with ISO8859-1 encoding - the chat will load
> and run fine (you'll see lots of hebrew lines inside the java app)
>
> If you try hebrew encoding ISO8859-8-i - you'll get the java chat but with
> 2 hebrew lines which are "illegal nick name"...
>
> Any help with this issue? I'm using IBM's JRE 1.3.1

There is no difference here, whatever charset I use. And it would even wonder
me if it had any effect on the applet since the applet server runs in a
different application than konqueror and there is no means to change the
encoding except by changing the environment before starting the applet
server.

But I see two other problems:
- I cannot type any hebrew characters into the applet textfield
- foccussing is again messed up with jre 1.4.1

regards, till

--
Till Krech from Berlin, Germany is happy with
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP * KDE: 3.0.8 (KDE 3.1 beta2)