Open in New Window

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Tue Sep 24 11:56:34 BST 2002

On Tuesday September 24, 2002 03:31, David Faure wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Neil Stevens wrote:

Hm...  I should dig up a Mandrake GPG package for you, David. :-)

> > On Tuesday September 24, 2002 03:11, David Faure wrote:
> > > This change was intentionnal, for the file management mode (people
> > > with "one window per dir" (i.e. the
> > > open-new-window-when-clicking-a-dir option) don't want a sidebar in
> > > each window.
> >
> > They don't?  I think people who used the directory tree, bookmarks, or
> > media player sidebars in regular file browsing would be surprised to
> > hear that.
>
> Please activate that option and then browse around a bit, then tell me
> if you'd like a sidebar in each of your 20 open windows.

I understand that some people don't like that.  But at the same time, I
also know from experience that users get frustrated when their settings
get ignored unexpectedly.  Any user, not just a power user.  I can picture
the IRC logs now...

> Also check how this option works in Windows or Mac.

Sure.  Let me know where I can download the source, and I'll build a copy
and try them out right away. :-)

> We tested under Windows, and there, with this option activated:
> * if you click a dir in a 'simple' window, it opens another 'simple'
> window for it.
> * if the 'sidebar' (explorer tree) is there, clicking on a dir opens
> it **in the same window**, thereby disobeying the "open dirs in new
> windows" option.
> This is a very inconsistent behaviour imho. And it only makes some sense
> there because by default you don't get that sidebar. But in KDE if it's
> part of your filemanager profile, then you get it by default.
> But really, one sidebar in each of your 30 windows (which are bigger
> because of it), is too much, isn't it?
>
> I removed the sidebar for the "one window per dir" option, on request
> by Matthias Ettrich, and after testing how it behaves under Windows.
> I'm open to opinions, but you have to know that this was a request in
> the first place ;)

So you had two reasons:  To copy Windows (Despite you thinking it to be
inconsistent) and to satisfy a user request?

Gotcha.  OK, I'll come up with my own suggestion then.  Mygoals are to
allow the default you're trying to achieve, to make it possible for users
to simply configure it to their liking, and to keep the workings
consistent.

The first idea that popped into my head was "Profile inheritance," but that
seems far too complicated to be "simply" configurable - just look at the

So, my second idea is to steal and idea from KWord.  In KWord you can have
a header for the first page and a separate header for every page after
that.  What if Konqueror profiles could work the same way?  Profiles could
be split into a "first" and "every one after that."

The defaults could be tweaked to drop the sidebar for the "every one after
that."  So Matthias and the Windows users get their way.

UI-wise, I don't see how this would require much change.  The Profiles
dialog would have twice as many entries, as every one will now have a
child profile (from a KListView perspective).  But the UI shouldnt' be any
harder to use.

If this is too much more work, that you won't do it without a patch
attached, I understand. :-)
- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com