Open in New Window

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Sep 24 11:31:41 BST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Tuesday September 24, 2002 03:11, David Faure wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, George Staikos wrote:
> > >    Sometime this summer the behaviour of Open in New Window in konqi
> > > has changed.  It used to open the new window with the profile settings
> > > (for size, for instance).  It no longer does that.  It now opens in a
> > > rather small window which has to be resized manually.  Any ideas how
> > > this happened and where the right fix is?
> >
> > This change was intentionnal, for the file management mode (people with
> > "one window per dir" (i.e. the open-new-window-when-clicking-a-dir
> > option) don't want a sidebar in each window.
>
> They don't?  I think people who used the directory tree, bookmarks, or
> media player sidebars in regular file browsing would be surprised to hear
> that.

Please activate that option and then browse around a bit, then tell me if
you'd like a sidebar in each of your 20 open windows.

Also check how this option works in Windows or Mac.

We tested under Windows, and there, with this option activated:
* if you click a dir in a 'simple' window, it opens another 'simple'
window for it.
* if the 'sidebar' (explorer tree) is there, clicking on a dir opens
it **in the same window**, thereby disobeying the "open dirs in new
windows" option.
This is a very inconsistent behaviour imho. And it only makes some sense
there because by default you don't get that sidebar. But in KDE if it's
part of your filemanager profile, then you get it by default.
But really, one sidebar in each of your 30 windows (which are bigger
because of it), is too much, isn't it?

I removed the sidebar for the "one window per dir" option, on request
by Matthias Ettrich, and after testing how it behaves under Windows.
I'm open to opinions, but you have to know that this was a request in
the first place ;)

David.