Comments from a svg guru

rwlbuis at xs4all.nl rwlbuis at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 31 07:28:44 GMT 2002

Hi,

In light of recent svg discussions, I feel these words from a svg guru,
that were posted on the dot, are enlightening and should be discussed.
Cheers,

Rob.

Re: Nah, Crystal isn't SVG
by Andreas Neumann on Wednesday 30/Oct/2002, @22:15
To my opinion SVG is one of the best web-technologies to watch, as a
graphics-exchange format, as a graphics format for mobile devices, as a
printer description language (combined with other XML-technology, such as
XSL-FO), etc. ...

I therefore think that the KDE team should give SVG top priority as a
base-technology for the KDE-desktop (SVG enable all KDE-applications) and
as an integral part of the Konqueror browser. Combined with other XML
technology and scripting, SVG allows very useful applications and is for
the first-time a fully documented vendor-neutral graphics format as an
exchange format between different applications and platforms. I am very
happy that ksvg (svg.kde.org) already exists - but I think that it should
have more support and priority within the KDE team than it has now.

Check f.e. http://www.svgopen.org/, http://www.kevlindev.com/ and
www.carto.net to see some useful applications.

As a conclusion:
SVG for icons is nice - but with SVG you can do much more and it should
really have more weight within the KDE project!
To unsubscribe please visit: