Konqy reusing and preloading

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 28 12:01:43 GMT 2002

 Hello,

  I know we're all busy celebrating KDE3.1 and so on :), but could somebody
review the two little simple attached patches?

 The reuse.patch one is for #27583. (Bonus points to whoever wrote
startNewKonqueror() for confusing me twice before I got it right.) I hope
adding new and new methods in KonquerorIface doesn't matter much.

 The second and third one are for Konqueror preloading. Basically, there can
be a certain number of Konqy instances running without any window, and when
new Konqy is needed, they're used instead of starting a new one. When they're
about to quit, they may be kept running instead of really exiting.

 The thing I don't know is how much it actually improves things. I recently
suffered an upgrade ;) , so I simply don't see much difference, and I won't
be able to try it on a slow computer for several days.

 I'd say that creating KonqMainWindow and the view is quite expensive, so it
would be better if the last closed KonqMainWindow wouldn't be really
destroyed (when "exiting" Konqy), but it would be reused for the next time.
The problem is, I don't know how to do it. The idea is that if the "closed"
window had only one view of some of the basic types (icons,filetree,khtml),
it would be saved, and when kfmclient would want to open a new window, it
would first try to find a window with a matching view, as that would be only
equal to typing new URL into the location bar.

 Technically, it would need some KonqMainWindow::viewType(), which would
return enum { KHTML_View, Icons_View, FileTree_View, SomeOther_View }. In
case KonqMainWindow::openFilteredURL() isn't equal to typing new URL into the
location bar, such method would be needed too (and a new method in
KonquerorIface of course).

 Thoughts, comments, advices?

 Oh, and yes, this means that you'd have to write code without any leaks at
all >;).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer