PATCH: Fix for BR#48679: Proxy options lost after switching proxy use off and on

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Nov 7 10:03:46 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 02:13, Dawit A. wrote:
> Please review the first two patches that fix the bug mentioned in the subject.
> They address the core problem outlined in the bug report with the exception
> of the request to automatically select the previous proxy setting when it is
> disabled and then re-enabled again. Though easy enough to fix several ways,
> it is too late at this point.
>
> The last two patches are not really siginficant but something I run into when
> fixing the above bug.  The KProxyDlg one is trivial and might not even be
> necessary.  The KSaveIOConfig one is a bit more significant, but it reduces
> the number of times the same config file have to be read from say the proxy
> config module (it is used by all the config dialogs in the kcontrol/kio
> module).  None of these two are really essential and can wait for post-3.1 if
> there are objections.

kenvvarproxydlg.diff :
- - setMinimumSize looks wrong and/or unnecessary
- - an i18n string is changed! Don't apply that!
- - textChanged() copies the text into the lineedits below. This is in fact another way
to 'lose' information (if you type 3 different proxies, then click the "same for all"
checkbox by accident, and uncheck it -> you lose the settings in the two lineedits).

kmanualproxy.diff:
- - same objection, it seems the patch is mostly about copying values in
the "same for all" case....

ksaveioconfig.diff
- - Avoiding so much parsing sounds like a very good idea indeed.
- - one minor thing: setObject(0) is unnecessary, KStaticDeleter resets the static
pointer already.
- - Of course we could use KStaticDeleter<KConfig> directly, instead of the
intermediary class KSaveIOConfigPrivate, but indeed the approach used by the
patch is open for more extensions in the future.
- - I see a good memleak fix in updateRunningIOSlaves.
- - Why does updateConfiguration delete "d" ? That sounds dangerous, given that it's
the object in the kstaticdeleter! I would delete (and set to 0)  d->config instead.
I'll make that change and commit that one.

kproxydlg.diff
- - I'm still confused about those kcmodule names issue. Coolo made it so that the
name has to match the name of the .pot file for translations, so any wrong change
in this area can break translations. I notified coolo about this one.

The fix for #48679 is the two setProxyData() changes only, right? Can you make
a patch with only those changes in?

- --
David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/