fix for bug 39722 causes serious regressions in Hiermenus

David Joham djoham at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 06:35:52 BST 2002

Hello all,

Thanks to Koos' debugger and some fancy CVS dancing, I've been able to
figure out the problem that was introduced recently with Konqueror and
the Hiermenus scripts.

versions 1.175 & 1.174.2.1 of kdelibs/rendering/render_object.cpp
contain a fix to bug 39722. This fix does indeed fix the testcase as
presented in that bug report. However, the fix causes some serious
problems as well.

In the following test case (modified just slightly from the original
39722 test case) the javascript onmouseover event should never fire for
the hidden DIV. With version 1.174 of render_object.cpp this is indeed
the case. However, with 1.175 & 1.174.2.1 (both containing the fix for
39722) the event does fire.

This has the effect of causing the Hiermenus to display seemingly
random menus when the mouse is moved around the screen. Entertaining
though it is, we should probably fix this :)

I've also posted information about this problem to the bug report as
well.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Recreation follows:

#adv { POSITION: absolute; left: 50px ; top: 0px ; visibility: hidden}
#Buttons { POSITION: absolute; top: 80px; visibility: inherit; }

<DIV ID="Buttons">
<DIV id="adv" onmouseover="alert('I should not come up')">
message box</a>
</DIV>
</DIV>

Best regards,