kdelibs/khtml

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu May 23 20:59:56 BST 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 12:51 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Thursday 23 May 2002 19:02, you wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 May 2002 12:41 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > > in a CSS file still work now? On FOSDEM we more or less came to the
> > > conclusion that margin should be MIN( suitableDefaultValue,
> > > cssProvidedValue ), although I'm not sure if any code was ever written
> > > to achieve that. With this code CSS can supply values that do get taken
> > > into account, unless they are truly too small.
> >
> > The problem is that khtml rendering isn't page aware, it thinks of the
> > document as one big entity, so if the the document spans two pages, you
> > get a margin at the top of the first page and a margin at the bottom of
> > the second page, and the bottom of the first page as well as the top of
> > the second page are without margin.
>
> Can't you repeat that margin for each page again? That's the idea behind
>
> @media print {
>   margin-top: 3cm;
> }
>
> I'd say...

Well, there is the print-algorithm that splits up the document across pages
and there is the khtml rendering algorithm. And those two pretty much live in
a world of there own. The CSS margins live in the khtml-rendering world.

I would like to be able to tell the khtml rendering not to use a margin at all
and then let the print-algorithm provide margins that make sense, possibly
taking into account values provided via CSS.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com