[Kde-cafe] printing from Konq still needs fix

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu May 23 13:59:10 BST 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 00:48, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  On Wednesday 22 May 2002 09:55 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > On Monday 20 May 2002 23:37, Tink wrote:
|  > [...]
|  >
|  > |  SPECIAL REPORT: LINUX GOES MAINSTREAM
|  > |
|  > | http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020515_3723
|  > |.ht m
|  >
|  > I am wondering wether it's only me, or other people also see this:
|  > article is truncated at th eend of the page, when printed,
|
|  Looking at the code printing is seriously fucked up and I don't think
| _any_ multi-page printjob comes out ok from kmail or konqueror.

There are also some problems with _font-mapping_ during printing process.
For example, check this URL (it's web site of well-known business newspaper,
called Kommersant)
http://www.kommersant.ru/lenta.html?id=43498
and try to print it.
I get empty spaces instead of Cyrillic (Russian) letters when page is printed.
To be far, I took some extra effort and rebooted to Widnows 98, and tested
with MS IE6 and NS6.
MS IE6 from Windows 2000 prints page ok, from my Win98 I get ???? instead of
Cyrillic. Bahh!
In Nestcape6 - text printed ok, but... I get only one page, insatead of 3
pages.
 Finally I looked into HTML.
And found a reason for such strange behavior (with Konq, at least):

browser.js, included into every page on that site
------------------
if ((navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mac") != -1))
document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' href='/css/mac.css' type='text/css'>");

if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Win') != -1)
{
	if (navigator.appName.indexOf('Netscape') != -1)
	{
	document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' href='/css/nn.css' type='text/css'>");
	}
	else
	{
	document.write("<link rel='stylesheet' href='/css/ie.css' type='text/css'>");
	}
}
So, Konqueror gets *no* CSS stylesheet at all, and indeed has problems with
selection of correct fonts.
Faking userAgent as MS IE 5.0/Windows does the trick - *you can print that
page*!
Sounds interesting, no?..

--

Vadim Plessky