a question of speed

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Thu Jun 13 14:34:31 BST 2002

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 12:41 am, Michael Cardenas wrote:
|  Hello again.
|
|  I'd like to ask you all about a problem we're seeing with regards to
|  speed. Our build of kde3 is based upon cvs from 0327.
|
|  We are having a speed problem when accessing some sites, specifically
|  mp3.com. When using kde 2.2.2 we were able to load mp3.com in just about
|  3 seconds. With our latest release, mp3.com loads in about 30 seconds.
|  These speeds are from within our offices, on a high speed connection.

No delay with KDE 3.0.1 here. (Mandrake RPMs)
Samll note: downloading from that site was somewhat slow, probably due to the
overload of this site. Sometimes speed itself was 190 bytes/sec. (not 190KB!)
I am on 2Mbit connection at office, so 200KB/sec. is quite achievable.

|  The strange part is that SUSE with kde 3.0.0 loads mp3.com in just over
|  3 seconds.
|
|  I've looked at the headers and the responses and the responses from the
|  mp3.com server actually have a Date field which says that they are about
|  6 seconds apart.
|
|  Here are the headers sent by our version of konqueror to one of our
|  local webservers.
|
|  GET / HTTP/1.1
|  Connection: Keep-Alive

Isn't it KDE 3.0 branch, pre-3.0.1 release?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)