Fwd: Re: Buffer Overflow with all versions of Internet Explorer and Javacript.

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 17:39:51 BST 2002

Subject: Re: Buffer Overflow with all versions of Internet Explorer and
Javacript.
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:31:02 +0000
From: Jacek Lach <jlach at utopia.pl.eu.org>
To: Scott Mackenzie <smackenz at sdf.lonestar.org>, vuln-dev at securityfocus.com

On Sunday 02 June 2002 23:47, Scott Mackenzie wrote:
> After a few minutes testing it seems this does not only effect Internet
> Explorer but also the following browsers:
>

> In KDE's konqueror Latest Version it Seg Faults the browser instantly

a bit OT, but anyway, I also checked this and
Konqeror 3.0.0 hogs the CPU, but there was no segfault, the same effect (100%
CPU utilization) is done by simply this:
<script language="JAVASCRIPT">
function foo() {
foo();
}
</script>
<input type="button" onClick="foo();" value="SMASH!"></input>

This situation is handled by both IE and Mozilla 1.0rc1 (no hogs there)

Regards,
Jacek Lach

George Staikos