action for LMB click in Konqueror

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.com
Mon Jul 29 21:40:22 BST 2002

Le Lundi 29 Juillet 2002 15:19, David Faure a écrit :
> > That is IMHO, very bad policy... unless my KFM settings displays
> > /usr/bin/sh as the preferred application in "General", I see no good
> > reason why a shell script (which is rather, intrinsically, a document...)
> > should run by itself ?
>
> Well, what happens when clicking on an executable? (in any desktop you can
> think of, including Mac and Windows?)
>
> shellscripts are only one kind of executables.

You mean : if they have the +x mode ?
The problem is their dual nature turn them into Shröninger's Cat objects...
One might not know when one click them wether they are executables or not..

For the moment, the code only checks the service type to see if it belong to
the "might be" executable category, but it knows nothing about the actual
status of the file.
There are some hacks to specifically allow x-shellscript to run, but it does
not solve the overall problem of isTextExecutable( services).

> (the other mail about the +x bit sounds like a bug though. We detect the
> application/x-shellscript from the content, and then test for that...
> I suggest testing for the file permissions in kdelibs/kio/kio/krun.cpp:86
> (sorry, no time for doing all the changes people talk about, so I just give
> hints ;)

I didn't had much time today, but I'll work on a patch... may I ?

G.