smb slave

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Thu Jul 25 23:18:36 BST 2002

On Thursday 25 July 2002 23:16, Patrick wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2002 22:46, aleXXX wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Hi Patrick,
> >
> > on which smb ioslave do you want to work ?
> > kdebase/kioslave/smb or kdebase/kioslave/smbro ?
> > What do you want to add ?
>
> Ciao Alex,
> i would like to have add something like  "clean network view"
> I'm working in a large network and when i use the konqueror with lisa for
> example i get all the server without any logical sort

Yes, known "issue".

> on the other hands
> the smb protocols just show me the shared folder without any information
> about the server and also there are no indication about domain (i don't
> know how to find the  PDC or a printer..)

The smb ioslave (I think both) should in the meantime be able to show you the
list of workgroups ( enter smb:/ ), so you will have grouping.
At least my smbro (it ain't anymore read-only) is able to do it, if it doesn't
work, tell me, then it is a bug.

> My idea is to @ first click have a choice on with angle i want to see my
> network(let's say for example all http, NFS, or windows domains..) the if i
> choose the smb get a different icons for servers and workstation...have a
> way to map shared folder..

Not sure I like ot understand what you mean.

> About the kioslave can you explain me why we need 2 slaves? (i didn't start
> looking at code).

Well, depends on which ioslaves you count ;-)

If you don't use samba at all, you have the lan:/ and the fish:/ ioslave,
works perfectly :-)
If you use everything, you have lan, http, ftp, fish and smb ioslave (maybe
even nfs), makes 6 ioslaves.

The lan:/ ioslave is for listing hosts (creating browse lists, in
smb-language), independent whether they have samba servers (or ftp or http
servers) running or not.
The other ioslaves are put general "file sharing" ioslaves.
I think the decision from microsoft to mix file sharing and host browse lists
in one protocol is bad design.

Bye
Alex