how Windows browsers encode URL [Re: why the % cruft?]

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.com
Wed Jul 10 23:57:58 BST 2002

Le Mercredi 10 Juillet 2002 22:05, Hetz Ben Hamo a écrit :
> I did - here it is again:
>
> http://chat.tapuz.co.il/newchat/main.asp?regUser=no&shower=1&room=30%20ôìåñ
>%20àéëåúé&nick=fasdfasd This URL lets you go into a Java hebrew based chat.
>
> With MSIE (and suprisingly Netscape 4.x) - the gybrish stuff is being feed
> into the server as parameters which room.
>
> the fasdfasd stuff is my test to put a nick name. if I put a hebrew nick
> the chat java client will get it as "????????" in konqueror. Actually if
> you'll try this URL on konqueror with Java enabled, you'll get into the
> chat to a room named "30 ????? ??????" - the ? should be of course hebrew
> letters ;)

The Java stuff works but I have the same problem than Waldo with javascript
links.
Seems to me there are two problems here :

1)
- when you feed the nick attr. with chars in cp-1255 encoding (as requested by
the HTTP-EQUIV meta), they are correctly displayed in the HTML

- but the Java applet receives garbage, so maybe it incorrectly expects utf-8
...or the Java interface is broken ?... dunno.

2)
Then again, if I simply copy/paste Hebrew chars (copy/paste works in utf-8,
right?) from the page into the URL, they are incorrectly translated to %3Fs
when I confirm.
e.g :   מצלמות

which in hex is:
d7 9e d7 a6 d7 9c d7 9e d7 95 d7 aa

should be translated by KURL into:
%D7%9E%D7%A6%D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA

and is in fact changed into :
%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F

(which looks like it converts UTF-8 codes to my locale before encoding them)

G.