why the % cruft?

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 11:53:03 BST 2002

Hi,

One of my biggest problems with Konqueror is it's usage of % stuff for non
latin-1 while other browsers (MSIE, Galeon/Mozilla) doesn't seem to have this
problem..

I understand that this was due to QT-2 lack of Unicode support, but we're
using QT-3 now (at least I think that why the % was, unless I'm wrong), and
it's very hard to use Konq. URL's with this - specially when you put a URL
with non latin-1 chars...

here's an example:

With Mozilla, if I want to enter a hebrew chat room - I use:

http://chat1.tapuz.co.il/newchat/main.asp?regUser=no&shower=1&room=30פלוס%20àéëåúé&nick=àîéø194úà

With konqueror:

http://chat1.tapuz.co.il/newchat/main.asp?regUser=no&shower=1&room=30%20ôìåñ%20àéëåúé&nick=%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F
and even that - it seems that konq. always trying to convert the URL into
latin-1 chars (and the konq case of the above it squashed the hebrew chars)

Could the URL handling be done in fully Unicode please?

Thanks,
Hetz