Java applet not found (problem in the official DOM testsuite)

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Dec 19 19:11:04 GMT 2002

I need help figuring out the most important breakage Konqueror currently
have with the DOM testsuite (the one made by the W3C).

Can one of the Java experts (Till, Koos...) have a look at this problem?
Please
1. download this Zip file: http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/DOM-javabug.tar.bz2
2. run konqueror jsunit/testRunner.html
3. click Browse and select javabug/HTMLAppletElement01.html
4. click Run - with the current Konqueror, that's the tricky part. The onclick
event is partly broken, clicking on the button doesn't work. Try clicking right
above the button (1 or 2 pixels above it), until it disables itself (then it worked).
5. in the java console you'll see

Java VM version: 1.4.0_01
Java VM vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
Class could not be loaded: org.w3c.domts.DOMTSApplet
Backtrace:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.w3c.domts.DOMTSApplet
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.findClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:233)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.loadClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:274)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$2.run(KJASAppletStub.java:162)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
Class could not be loaded: org.w3c.domts.DOMTSApplet
Backtrace:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.w3c.domts.DOMTSApplet
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.findClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:233)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.loadClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:274)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$2.run(KJASAppletStub.java:162)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

6. Now the very strange thing (to me) is that if you open that file directly
(the HTMLAppletElement01.html file), the two applets are loaded just fine
(and the onload event is emitted, I checked that too).

The test framework (JSUnit) is quite complex, I didn't manage to find out
what exactly was making the difference wrt applet loading. (Don't be surprised
to see a "timeout" error message, that's because JSUnit is polling for the onload
event (which sets a bool), and times out if onload isn't emitted. But anyway the
real problem is that the applets don't get loaded at all).

Thanks,
David.

- --
David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org