KHTML redrawing 'bad'

Jelmer Feenstra email at jelmer.cc
Mon Dec 16 20:16:54 GMT 2002

Hi,

There is some redrawing behaviour with KHTML that's rather disturbing. The
following is what is taking place :

- Visit a website with a non-default background color
- Scroll a little (doesn't matter how much) down the page
- Now hit F5 (reload), go back in history or click on a link

You can see the view is completely erased with the default background color
first, after which the page is rendered on it (with a different background
color). In effect, this results in a completely white view for a short moment
during browsing - very stressful for the eyes (especially when this
background turns to black after this white flash).

The strange thing is (that is, to me) that this behaviour is not observed when
you don't scroll, or scroll back to the top of the page (so the page is
completely at the beginning).

As this is pretty bad on the eyes and because IE and Mozilla both handle this
'properly' I was wondering if anyone had an idea about how much trouble it
would be to fix this. I've looked through the source myself but, as I
expected on beforehand, I couldn't locate the place where this gets done.

Thanks in advance for any replies on this matter,

Jelmer Feenstra