caching-patch V0.2.1 (Was: Re: caching-patch V0.2.0)

Tobias Anton Tobias.Anton at esc-electronics.de
Mon Aug 26 15:36:30 BST 2002

On Saturday 24 August 2002 23:10, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> It assumes that when a document with creation time t_doc_create sets a
> relative expire time t_doc_expire that the images with a creation time
> t_img_create should expire on t_img_create+t_doc_expire.
>
> I think that's wrong and I think the images should expire on
> t_doc_create+t_doc_expire.

Imagine a cached image that is referenced from all pages of a web site and all
pages have a relative expire date.

Browsing around will lead to strange results there, i.e. as long as no page is
visited twice and the time between two page views is less than the (relative)
expire time, such an image will never be reloaded.

A similar problem arises if the document is not cached at all:
The document's cache creation date will be set to time(0) every time it is
loaded, so images in that page will never expire as long as the page is
viewed frequently enough.
It would break all pages with pragma no-cache but a relative expire date
(which should affect the contained images). And I've seen such pages often
enough.

If you still aren't convinced,
please tell me _why_ you think my idea is wrong.
After all, we agree on how to handle absolute expire dates.

Cheers,
Tobias