Devices

Christian A Strømmen [Number1/NumeroUno] number1 at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 17:15:48 BST 2002

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:02, Joseph Wenninger scribbled down on a piece of
electronic paper:
> > I'm trying to make myself a "start dir" for konqueror here, but because
> > of the two things above I've been forced to use symlinks as both the
> > device files created by konqueror and "Link to location" won't act the
> > way that would seem "normal"
>
> Are you using linux? For all other systems I disabled the devices:/ slave
> for now, since I don't know enough about those. (eg device node names,
> fstab/mtab replacements, ...)

Yes I am..

> How old is your konqueror ? david fixed a problem with neelessly opening a
> new window when an url get's invoked from the sidebar ?

CVS from today.. Rebuild from CVS every other day.

> Do you see those devices when you enter the url in konqy? If not your fs
> tab is wrong, or you are not using linux

devices:/ is great, but it doesn't fullfill my needs for the following
reasons:
1. No link to home-dir
2. Too crowded names on the disks
3. Too many devices shown (I have 9 nfs-fs' mounted)
4. No way to use in the sidebar (last, but not least)

I managed to get what I want by using 'X-KDE-TreeModules=Virtual", but this is
not optimal because of the following "limitations":
1. No way to view all the devices and links in the normal view, I can only see
it in the sidebar
2. No way to make top-level dirs that contain different links (like a
"Machine-name" dir that contains links to my hd's and my home-dir, the
"Desktop" dir I want to move to top-level here too and a "Remote" dir which I
want to add my nfs-mounts to)

The current sidebar features in konq are awesome, but is there any way that
the problems above can be solved?

--
\ Christian A Strømmen /
\ Number1/NumeroUno @ Undernet - Email: number1 at kde.org number1 at realityx.net /